Important Announcement!!!   
  All Masses Suspended Until Further Notice 

COLLECTION ENVELOPES:
Collection envelopes can be dropped off at the parish office or mailed in.  An AUTOMATED GIVING option “WE SHARE” is also available for making your parish contributions. It is easy to sign up for “WE SHARE”. Please contact Donna in the parish office at (219) 838-0395 if you would like additional information on We Share or to sign up. Thank you for your generosity." 

Letter From Bishop McClory: Bishop Letter Faithful_March 26_English-Spanish

Please read the letter from our Pastor Below

About Us

O

ur parish is continually interested and focused on improving and developing new ministries that give many opportunities for each of us to grow in our Catholic Faith and to strengthen our parish community. Everyone is encouraged to grow in being Christ’s disciple by engaging in one of the many parish ministries in order that our commitment to Christ will grow and we will be the visible presence of Christ to all whom we meet and serve.

  • plaqueBeginning in 1949 on July 7, Father Albert Jasinski was appointed pastor of a new parish named Our Lady of Grace. This new parish had its first Mass celebrated on December 25, 1949 in the Town Theater on Kennedy Avenue.
  • Mass continued there until October 29, 1950 when the first Mass was celebrated in the newly renovated former Calvary Baptist Church on Jewett Street. At this time, 272 people gathered to celebrate the Mass.
  • With continued growth in the parishioner base, a new addition to the church was dedicated on October 28, 1951. Due to the continued growth of the parish now totaling 540 families, ground was broken on February 6, 1954 for a one story church and 10 classroom school on Highway and Fifth.
  • Construction began on July 11, 1954 and was completed on December 1, 1954 when doors were opened for 291 students in grades 1 through 6. The basement church and remaining classrooms were completed in early 1955 and Mass was celebrated in the basement church on April 22, 1955.
  • A second story was added to the building to house a library and convent due to increasing school enrollment now at over 700 students and parishioner enrollment totaling 728 families.
  • In 1960 marking the tenth anniversary of the parish which now numbered 5,000 members and 1,000 students, Father Jasinski and two assistants and religious from the Sisters of Saint Francis from Mishawaka, now were pressing for expansion. Masses were now being said both in the basement church and cafeteria area.
  • April of 1963, thirteen years after the beginning of Our Lady of Grace, a new pastor was assigned, Father Van Nevel, to replace Father Jasinski. After three years of fundraising, on September 3, 1966, ground was broken for a new church. Dedication of the new church took place on December 10, 1967. At this time, there were 1,971 families (8,303 members).
  • Growth of the parish continued and in 1974 a separate convent was built on the corner of Fifth and Condit. This brought about the renovation of the second floor of the school (formerly the convent) to add additional classrooms. 
  • Six years later construction of a new rectory was begun on May 22, 1980. The Jewett Street rectory now became the parish office and meeting rooms.
  • On July 31, 1991, Monsignor Van Nevel retired and Father Moszur was installed as pastor. As the third pastor of Our Lady of Grace, he continues to encourage growth and involvement in the Catholic community of Highland drawing individuals and families from Highland and the surrounding communities in Indiana and Illinois.
  • With the Pastoral Council and the five commissions, all our ministries and outreach continue to be our parish focus. As parish, we see the Eucharist as our source of strength and guidance for ministry as well as where we return to praise and worship the goodness of God through Jesus.

 

 

 

Go to top